Actuarial trainees and recently qualified actuaries
First Actuarial puts delivering pragmatic pension solutions at the heart of its business. We help our clients and pension scheme members get the best out of pensions. After 15 years of stellar growth we need to grow our talented actuarial team to continue our journey.
We are looking for part-qualified actuaries 3 or more years’ experience to join our growing Basingstoke team. We ask our employees to commit to us and we give you lots in return. In addition to a competitive salary, private medical and PHI insurance, and a non-contributory pension, you
- will be fully supported in your study and development, to qualification as an actuary, and beyond
- will have no billing or chargeable hours targets
- you will have the opportunity to move quickly into a client facing role providing primary support to the Scheme Actuary
- can work your daily hours to suit your commute or family commitments
- will enjoy an informal working environment and casual dress policy
- will join a friendly and supportive team
- will be given autonomy and responsibility so you can concentrate on producing quality work.
We are looking for the right people to fit our business
- Experience – from 3 years to near qualification and at least most, if not all the Core Principles exams. A UK pensions consulting background and sound technical knowledge
- Skills – be an excellent communicator who understands how to express complicated ideas in a concise and clear way, and the ability to develop your communication approach as your exposure to clients increases.
- Characteristics – a can do, enthusiastic approach to tackling problems, and a desire to build pro-active teams with your colleagues and clients.
You’ll be responsible for
- Checking actuarial calculations, with a strong focus on overall “quality control”
- Coaching and mentoring more junior team members
- Carrying out more complex bespoke calculations
- Supporting the rest of the team as needed
There would be an opportunity to move quickly into a more client-facing role, providing the primary support to the Scheme Actuary, with support available to help you develop / build on the necessary consulting skills. This would involve:
- Liaising with Trustees at meetings, by telephone and e-mail
- Monitoring deadlines and requirements on a portfolio of schemes
- Reviewing actuarial calculations eg triennial valuations
- Drafting and reviewing standard and bespoke communications
Not all the work we do is traditional actuarial work – you probably know we often challenge conventional thinking. So, we’d be able to give you lots of variety and challenge – utilising your well-honed actuarial skills and bringing your own thinking.
Apply now with covering letter and CV